Great Britain
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Suspected gas explosion on boat leaves woman in hospital with dog feared dead

A woman was rushed to hospital after a boat went up in flames following a suspected gas explosion in a marina on Saturday evening. Emergency services descended on Conwy Marina, north Wales, shortly before 6pm following the horror incident.

A major multi-agency operation was launched with firefighters, police, paramedics, coastguard officers and a lifeboat all sent to the scene, Wales Online reports. The male owner of the boat managed to recover himself from the water while the female owner was moved further down pontoon by an off duty GP.

The woman was taken to hospital with a severe compound fracture to her left ankle and suspected fracture to right leg. A dog onboard the vessel is believed to have died after the explosion.

Shocking images from the scene show the boat engulfed in flames as thick black smoke billows into the air. One eyewitness described the noise of the explosion as being "like a cannon". The boat sank shortly afterwards.

Posting about the incident on Facebook, Conwy Lifeboat said: "With arriving on scene, thick black smoke was billowing and a casualty vessel on the end of G-Leg was well ablaze following gas explosion. Male owner self recovered from water and lady owner had been moved further down pontoon with off duty GP.

A woman was taken to hospital after the explosion
A woman was taken to hospital after the explosion

"Two of our lifeboat crew members took first aid equipment to casualty and assisted with positioning and reassurance. Sadly the dog on board believed to be deceased owing to fire.

"The North Wales Fire Service arrived on scene to assess and the lifeboat moved to a safer position. The lifeboat then proceeded to conduct a sweep of the pontoons for persons in the water whilst repositioning lifeboat and clearing people to safety in case of further explosion. Fair amount of vessel owners opted to shift their vessels clear of area.

"Paramedics arrived on scene and our two lifeboat crew members continued to assist the casualty as required together with the off duty GP and Nurse who were nearby.

"Fisheries 19m aluminium hull ‘Lady Megan’ berthed next to casualty vessel on end of G-Leg went ablaze, fire service arrived with a portable pump and brought the blaze under control. The casualty vessel, a power cruiser, sank shortly after.

"The lifeboat continued to provide safety cover for the Fire Service alongside Coastguard Rescue Teams. The casualty was transferred to an awaiting ambulance with a reported severe compound fracture to left ankle and suspected fracture to right leg."

The vessel sank shortly after the explosion
The vessel sank shortly after the explosion

Afterwards, lifeboat equipment was recovered and further safety sweeps of the area were conducted.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they were called at 5.56pm and sent three appliances to the scene. The fire was extinguished by 8.30pm but a cordon remains in place today.

North Wales Police said yesterday: "Shortly after 6pm this evening, we received reports of a boat fire at Conwy Marina. Officers attended the location, along with colleagues from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, Welsh Ambulance Service, and local Coastguard crews.

"The blaze, which had spread to another boat nearby in the marina, was brought under control by fire officers. A female sustained leg injuries in this incident and has been taken to hospital. No other casualties were reported from the scene."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.