An Australian man lost the ability to walk after taking 70 times the daily recommended amount of vitamin B6.
According to his daughter Alison Taylor, the 86-year-old was living on his own until a blood test showed he was deficient in vitamin B6, and doctors put him on a 50-milligram supplement.
Taylor told ABC Radio,Melbourne,that his father had begun to lose feeling in his legs. He was hospitalized after losing his ability to walk, where he was diagnosed with vitamin B6 poisoning.
Vitamin B6 is important in helping the body absorb nutrients from food,according to the Mayo Clinicfor normal brain development and the nervous and immune systems. is important to keep you healthy. Found in foods such as fish, bananas, and potatoes.
His 50 mg dose, along with a magnesium supplement containing 50 mg of B6 and a breakfast cereal fortified with B6, resulted in him consuming more than 70 times the recommended dose.
According to Mount Sinai,vitamin B6 ingesting more than 200 milligrams of him can cause neurological disorders such as loss of sensation in the feet and nerve damage. The website states that "complete recovery usually occurs within 6 months once the high dose is discontinued," but it is still too early to tell if that applies to older men.
Toxicity of vitamin B6 is usually rare Excess vitamin B is generally washed out of the body through urination. However, taking high doses of vitamins over a long period of time can lead to it. He said he hopes physical therapy can help.
Overdosing on vitamins can have serious consequences. Symptoms such as thirst, ringing in the ears, and leg cramps persisted for several months. . That's more than 200 times his amount recommended in the US.